Monday, December 2, 2013

Christmas Lights

Struggling to untangle Christmas lights I am struck by the metaphor --my labor to untangle the family trauma.  Both seem impossible.   Sitting in the twisted mess I'm tempted to take the scissors and cut the lights off the garland.  Instead of this glacial, confusing unending task.  It is an uncanny symbol  for my holiday temptation -- to cut away the knots that squeeze out joy. 

But I don't want to be wasteful (or do something I'd regret) so I pull and turn and untangle.  I'm separating the garland from the lights, the only way to get to the root of the problem.  But finally, after much time, I come to a tangle too challenging.  I move the lights away and cut the garland.  Or so I think.  The cord was there and now the lights are unusable.  Is this happening with my family now too?  Are we too late to save?  Are there too many jumbled wounds? 

Despite my best intentions, the cord is cut.  Or perhaps the cord needs to be cut so I can get on with my life and the community I seek.  © 2013 all rights reserved.   No more to read on this post. Even though Blogger says

No comments: